Thursday 31 July 2014

Single... and Fabulous!! The Beauty Vine's Current Favourite Single Eyeshadows

I only have a handful of eyeshadow palettes, and while they are lovely, and I enjoy using them very much, it is the single eyeshadows that I reach for on a daily basis. Trying to make myself look a little more presentable is my aim in the morning...there is certainly no "I woke up like this" at The Beauty Vine HQ, I can assure you!!

So today I thought I would share some of the single eyeshadows that are currently occupying a draw in my little acrylic storage. I have recently had a tidy up and sort through of my makeup (gosh I love doing that!) and have collected a few favourites that are currently tickling my fancy to chat about and swatch for you. I have a few high end, and a few affordable options,  and I feel that they all fall into the neutral category. I think these particular shades would look beautiful with any eye colour...hopefully something for everyone! One feature they all have in common is that they all contain some degree of shimmer, and are mostly mid-toned shades.

I remember seeing a video from Emily Eddington from Beauty Broadcast ( EmilyNoel83 on You Tube) about single eyeshadows that work well as a one shadow look some time ago. The idea being that the shades will catch the light on your lid, and then when blended into the crease take on more depth to give your crease definition without the addition of another shadow. I typically use two brushes, a flat shader brush to pack colour onto the lid, and a fluffy blending brush to diffuse the colour into the crease. You could certainly get away with one brush, by just using your finger to pat the colour onto the lid, and then blend with the fluffy brush. I have two brushes pictured below from Bdellium Tools, the tapered blending no.785, and the flat shader no.777.  I also enjoy the Real Techniques eye brushes very much. If I feel I've blended the shade too high, I will take a dab of pressed face powder, and blend with the fluffy brush to soften the edge. It's simple, quick and easy, three things I need in the morning when I am trying to get four children ready for the day!














L-R  Laura Mercier - African Violet    NARS -  Ondine    Sunday Riley - Lady Godiva




L-R   African Violet,  Ondine,  Lady Godiva


Laura Mercier - African Violet.... Now I don't own any Laura Mercier eyeshadow palettes, and I believe this shade is in most of her palettes. Some may not consider this a neutral shade, but I do! I think it works beautifully as a one shadow look. The light catches the golden shimmer, and the pretty violet undertones look deeper and richer in the crease. I have also found that when patted over black liner along the lash line, it morphs into a beautiful antique gold shade...really pretty!

NARS - Ondine...I blame Anna from Vivianna Does Makeup for this one. It isn't the most pigmented of eyeshadows, however it is easily built up, blends beautifully and I just I love the tone of it. Brown with a hint of plum/purple. Love.

Sunday Riley - Lady Godiva... Another well known UK vlogger Ruth Crilly from A Model Recommends used this shade a few months ago in one of her videos, and I was immediately drawn to it. I managed to track it down at Mecca Cosmetica here in Australia, and it is now one of my most reached for shades. As you can see from the photo above, I have made quite a dent in it! It is so unique to me, so creamy and buttery, on the lids it's a warm toned taupe, and then blends out into a beautiful rosy, tan hue...I'm seriously obsessed with this shade! Highly recommend!




L-R   Wet'n'Wild - Nutty,  Rimmel London - Backstage,  Essence Cosmetics - Metropolitan





L-R   Nutty,  Backstage,  Metropolitan



Wet'n'Wild - Nutty...my lonely only Wet'n'Wild shadow, I have always meant to explore their 3 and 6 pan palettes, but just haven't gotten there yet! It is a gorgeous taupe, warm undertones, smooth and easy to blend, I love this on the lower lash line as well.

Rimmel London - Backstage...packs a punch in the shimmer department, but more of a cooler tone in my humble opinion. You can really get a glam look with this shade, and easily transition to a night time look with some liner and lashings of mascara. 

Essence Cosmetics - Metropolitan...is more of a deep brown, and probably the darkest shade of my current faves. However, it blends out really nicely into a lovely warm brown, and just fades away into the skin perfectly above the crease. 




I try to be as sensible as I can when it comes to spending my money on a single eyeshadow. In reality, it is not the most cost effective purchase! However, I am really pleased with the high-end shades I have shown you today, and would not hesitate to recommend them. 


Have you tried any of these shades? What are you favourite single eyeshadows? Do leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you!



Thanks so much for stopping by!



Blessings,



Lou xo

4 comments:

  1. I actually don't own a lot of single eyeshadows and the only ones I have are cream shadows, but I definitely need to start investing in some because it's pretty hard to carry palettes around with you! I love the shade Metropolitan from Essence!

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, they are so handy for travel! Essence are a great affordable brand! I sometimes feel like I don't want to take my nice palettes in case they break! Lou xo

      Delete
  2. Love the look of thoses brushes! I also love the shade Backstage by Rimmel!
    xprincessjas | xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the bdellium brushes! And they're pink lol! Backstage is so pretty isn't it? Lou xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...